What’s on for Mardi Gras 2016 – Planetdwellers
The program for the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras 2016 has been released. It’s a mix of something old and something new, and definitely something for everybody.
You’ll be able to choose from:
- Fair Days
- Gallery shows
- Walking tours
- Fun days
- Sports events
How’s that for a lineup?
Mardi Gras 2016 Film Festival
The Mardi Gras Film Festival just keeps getting better and better. The details of 11 films have been released and already the buzz is that it will be another great season. We’re looking forward to the documentary about Timothy Conigrave, the author of the much loved book autobiography Holding the Man, which this year was made into a much loved film. The initial announcement includes films from Spain, Thailand, Venezuela, USA, France, Germany and Australia.
Fair Day is the biggest community event of the year, with over 70,000 people converging on Victoria Park for a day of stalls, food, entertainment, competitions and just plain ol’ eye candy. Check out the dance tent which gets busier as the day goes on.
The Sunset Cruise is a great way for visitors to Sydney to familiarise themselves with the harbour and the locals, and this year Planetdwellers will be in charge of the fun. The Sydney Glass Island is again the exclusive venue to view the breathtaking sights you’ve always wanted to see. It’s MC’d by Aussie drag royalty and accompanied by chilled beats from the specially chosen DJ. Indulge in delectable canapés as the sun melts over the best stage in Sydney.
Mardi Gras 2016 Parade
There’s nothing like the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade anywhere in the world. Perhaps it’s the fact that it’s in the evening after the sun goes down, and so it’s more of a party mood, with more lights and glitter than you could ever expect to see on the one street. Perhaps it’s the hundreds of thousands of people who line the route and cheer and support the colourful, the funny, the outrageous and the more serious floats.
Mardi Gras 2016 Party
After the parade, head for Fox Studios for the party of the year. Party the night away with visitors, DJs and entertainers from all over the world, mixing it with the locals from all corners of Australia.
Of course, there’s all the Planetdwellers tours especially produced for Mardi Gras:
- Take in a Harbour Bridge Climb, an Opera House tour and our Sunset Cruise in the Ultimate Sydney Experience.
- If you just want to do the Bridge Climb, we can look after you there too.
- See the local Australian wildlife up close and the incredible Blue Mountains in the one tour with our Wildlife and Wilderness tour.
- If you’d rather combine meeting the wildlife with a trip down the harbour, then our All Aussie Adventure – Wildlife, Lunch and River Cruise is for you.
- If the amazing Jenolan Caves is on your wish list, try our Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves Classic Experience tour.
- Spend a day sampling the sights and gourmet food and wine on our Hunter Valley Gourmet Day Tour Amongst The Vines.
- For a more leisurely but equally spectacular tour, try the South Coast Wonders tour.
- And finally we can offer Sydney’s Original Gayborhood Walking Tour, where we can familiarise you with the Oxford Street scene and the nearby neighbourhoods. Get a bit of history and see some hidden gems of the inner city. We’ll finish off with a drink at a local watering hole.
Come and join us! You know you want to!